National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language
The National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language (NCPUL)
is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD), Department of Secondary and Higher Education, Government of India. Set up to promote, develop and propagate Urdu language, Council started its operation in Delhi on April 1, 1996. In its capacity as the National Nodal Agency for the promotion of the Urdu language NCPUL is the principal coordinating and monitoring authority for promotion of Urdu language and Urdu education.
The main objectives for which the Council has been established are :
- To promote, develop and propagate Urdu language
- To take action for making available in Urdu language the knowledge of scientific and technological development as well as knowledge of ideas evolved in the modern context.
- To advise the Government of India on issues connected with Urdu language and having bearing on education as may be referred to it.
- To undertake other projects for the promotion of Urdu language as may be deemed fit by the Council.
- To undertake the production of literature in the Urdu language, including books on science and other branches of modern knowledge, the children`s literature textbooks, reference works, encyclopedias, dictionaries, etc.
- To collect and evolve technical terms relating to various disciplines of knowledge in order to enrich the Urdu language.
- To undertake and provide for publication of journals and periodicals in furtherance of its objects.
- To arrange for the sale of publications and their exhibitions both inside and outside the country on from time to time.
- To promote and help in development of computerization with a view to develop the Urdu language to meet the advanced technological requirements of the age.
- To formulate/implement schemes and projects for the teaching of the Urdu language through the mediums of English and Hindi and other Modern Indian Languages including, teaching through the correspondence courses.
- To liaise with the State Governments and other agencies in matters relating to promotion and development of the Urdu language.
- To provide financial assistance and guidance to Non-Government Organizations for propagation of the Urdu language.
- To co-ordinate the activities of the state Urdu academies.
- To obtain or accept subscriptions, donations, grants, gifts, devices and bequests from any person, corporation or institution in furtherance of the objectives of society.
- To undertake such activities as may be conducive to the aforesaid objects of the society.
In order to increase computer litracy in Urdu speaking section of Society NCPUL understands the necessity of computer literacy in the society and keeping this necessity in mind it has started several educational and computer literacy programs like CABA (Computer Application and Business Accounting) MDTP (Multilingual Desktop Publishing) courses on more than 400 centers across the country. NCPUL also thinks that learning process in mother tongue always leaves a positive effect on the student and this method should be promoted in our society. NCPUL appreciates Microsoft’s effort in basic computer learning program through Urdu and intends to run this program in collaboration with Microsoft India.